A Grateful heart.
When life turns us up and down and things don’t seem to fall into place as we have prayed for or imagined, we may feel less grateful and sometimes those feelings can even turn into anger and frustrations.
If I am being honest right now, then I think sometimes our anger and frustrations may even be justified, because we plan things and do the right things praying that we will get the best results only to end up with disappointments.
I am almost without any doubt that we have all in various ways experienced days and times that we did not feel grateful or felt as though there was nothing in our lives that we could be grateful for. I am sure there have been times that we even blamed God for failing to do what did not have an immediate answer to what we are asking for.
This year in particular has brought with it a lot of uncertainties for many of us. Many lives have perished, many have lost jobs, many left homeless wondering where their help will come from and many still confined to hospital beds fighting for their lives.
We are still fighting a global pandemic, which nobody knows when it will end.
On top of it all, we have experienced a rise against police brutality and systemic racism.
As I write today, Nigerian citizens are experiencing police brutality and killings of innocent civilians in their own country.
Things like these make it very hard to feel grateful because it is hard to feel grateful when we are facing calamities and challenges in our lives.
But are we truly justified to feel ingratitude??
While we may sometimes feel like we are justified to feel ungrateful or ingratitude because of the things we have going on in our lives, we actually have no excuse to feel ingratitude.
No matter what you go through in life, there is always something to be thankful for.
GRATITUDE can be explained as a strong feeling of appreciation to someone or something for what they have done for you or it is the quality of being thankful.
An Attitude of Gratitude
An attitude of gratitude means having a thankful heart in every part of your life at all times, be it happiness or sorrow, good or bad.
Having an attitude of gratitude doesn’t mean that your life completely perfect, it simply means that you are aware of what is happening around you but you choose to dwell on the good.
Having an attitude means looking around me and count my blessings. It means that I value the life that God has given me and trust His plans to see me through whatever I go through in this life.
Having an attitude of gratitude means that I know that God has a better plan for me and everything happens so that His name may be glorified.
So today I am grateful for the gift of life.
As human beings, we focused so much on the things we don’t have or the things we prayed for and did not receive so much so that we forget to be grateful for the things we have. But then again, you have to ask yourself, do you get what you want by being ungrateful?
Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying you will always feel be grateful because you won’t. There are days when you will wake up feeling very down and the last thing you would feel is gratitude, but when that day comes, I want you to look around you and focus on the things you have and be grateful for those things.
when you make it a habit to express appreciation for your life and the things you have, God looks into your heart and responds with more things for you to be grateful for.
Importance of gratitude
Having an attitude of gratitude means that you operate from a place of abundance rather than fear. So instead of focusing on what you don’t have, you focus on the things you have.
having an attitude means that you choose to be stay positive and encouraged instead of being negative. It means that you choose to see the good in every situation instead of the worst.
Studies have also shown that people who show attitude of gratitude tend to live life, because gratitude raises happiness levels.
As children of God He has promised us good lives and fulfillments so we have to trust Him to give us what is best for us.
God never makes mistakes so what ever we go through in life, we have to be thankful. We have to be thankful for the things God has given us.
Be thankful for what He didn’t give us because He knows what is best for us.
And be thankful for what He is about to do in our lives.
Even in the midst of all that is going on in the world, trust me you can still find something to be grateful for.
For example, while this years has come with many uncertainties and challenges, it has also brought with it awareness that life is uncertain.
Personally, lessons that I have taken from this COVID-19 and everything that is going on in the world right now is:
- The COVID-19 and the lockdown brought my family and I closer to each other. We made sure to speak on the telephone every day when we could not visit one another.
- It has taught me to forgive more quickly because life is short.
- It has taught me to take a deep breath every now and then because there are others who are struggling right now for air to breathe in.
- It has taught me to be grateful and enjoy the time I still have with my family.
- It has taught me to love others genuinely without expecting anything in return.
- Give freely to those in need and show kindness to everyone I meet, I might be the hope someone woke up searching for that day.
- It has taught me to show grace and compassion to others because you just never know what others are going through.
- Above all, it has strengthened my faith in God. I have come to develop a more deep and closer relationship with God than I ever could Imagined.
I am very very grateful for everything.
8 Tips to help you develop an attitude of gratitude
- Understand that God has a plan and His plans are good for your life.
- Start your day by expressing what you are grateful for. ( e.g, your life, the lives of your family and friends, food etc.)
- Mention 3 things you are most grateful for by the end of the day
- Be grateful for the things you were able to accomplish that day
- Be grateful and show appreciation to the people in your life for what they have done for you.
- Acknowledge and appreciate what you have and let go of the things you do not have control over.
- Surround yourself with positive thinking people.
- Live in the moment because tomorrow is taken care of by God.
If you still think you don’t have anything to thank God for, then let me do it for you….
I am grateful for the air that you are breathing right now.
I am grateful for your life. I thank God for sending you to this article.
I love you and I appreciate you.